Fundraising > Outdoor Fundraisers

Roadside Collections

Print Friendly

Roadside Collections or tin shaking is a very simple concept. Speak with your local council, find out where the approved intersections for tin shaking/collections are and organise a date. You will require roads authority and council approval to conduct this event.

Your club then has volunteers on each corner of the intersection (3 per corner depending on traffic), rattling tins to each of the passing motorists, with the hope of collecting small change from the passing cars. The idea here is that the surrounding community not necessarily involved in the club will contribute funds to the club.

Intersection collections are highly regulated by local councils and are now utilised by local clubs and charities. Members of the public are now aware that collectors need to have identification and signage around the intersection further establishing in the mind of the motorist who the group is that they are giving money to.

Substantial volunteer staff will be required. Volunteers will need to wear high visibility clothing and only engage the intersection during the red light sequence. Volunteers must be a minimum of 16yrs of age.

The revenue opportunities can vary depending on traffic and weather conditions – it is not uncommon to collect $2,000-$10,000.

Roadside Collections

Print Friendly

Financial Considerations

The financial overheads are limited to signage, tins and high visibility vests; often many of these things can be sourced from within the club and that means the revenue raised on the day is essentially almost all profit. Consider the use of a mobile digital sign – these can be hired for around $180 dollars and parked well before the intersection to draw the attention of your activities to motorists – allowing them time to find coins and consider the club and cause at hand.

Public liability insurance is required for you to undertake this event. Consider the policy and ascertain if your policy covers you for offsite events There is a minor risk that the event can be cancelled due to fire danger risks. Depending on the municipality, you will need to take this into account.

alt text

Licenses and Permits

State road regulators and local councils will require notification and approval to conduct an intersection tin rattle. Councils will typically limit the amount of tin rattles done per year and even per day in their municipality.

For example Mornington Peninsula Shire in Victoria, limits the amount of collections to 26 per year across all 4 of their approved locations. They only allow one per day across the whole area, and clubs are limited to two collections per year maximum.

alt text

Factors to Consider


As this event is conducted around major intersection, participant safety must be re-inforced and taken seriously. There have been instances of deaths amongst traffic intersections whilst trying to raise money this way. It is a horrible truth and must be given due diligence. Some clubs have enforced an age limit of 18yrs minimum to help on the day, either way there is a necessity that collectors understand the risks and act in the safest manner possible.


This procedure should be treated as a guide only. Your club should seek advice specific to the needs of your club and event. Seek further details from authorities and service providers; especially in regards to insurance, licences, permits, spectator and participant safety.